..says it so much better than words. Thanks to my brother Sam for reminding me of this great song with his cover, posted on FB this morning.
(What follows is me at my most emo. Just warning.)
It may just be that I first heard and loved this song in my impressionable teenage years, but there's something here that strikes a very close chord for me. Well, for one, the eclectic nature of Dave's style and the incredible skill of the band members earns my music-snob respect. For another, there's the beautiful marriage of skill and improvisation that allows them to paint such hazy emotions with such pin-pricking clarity (violin-saxophone improvisatory counterpoint at :44, banjo solo of epic restraint, 2:44). For yet another, the poetry expresses things I often feel but have a hard time sitting with, letting be, you know, as an American female Mormon... As a girl who grew up with the should-monkey on my back.
".. and on my way came up with the answers. I
scratched my head,
and the answers were gone."
1 comment:
i love that you like this song! Makes me feel like there is hope for me, even if I'm not so skilled at analyzing its musical elements! :)
-Heather from lifeofapasseri.blogspot.com
Post a Comment