
This week I interviewed a TON of people. When the Daily Universe published this article about women and education in Utah (that I wish I had written), I wanted to know what people’s reaction would be to the statistics quoted in the article.
Some of the statistics: In 2009, Utah women’s graduation rates were 6 percent below the rate of Utah men, and 2 percent below the national average of women. In 2008, 49 percent of Utah residents thought men should at least receive a four-year degree, while only 39 percent believed women should receive at least a four-year degree.
So I grabbed my handy DVR and hit the quads and halls. Here are a few of the responses I got.
MHR: What do you think of the fact that so many less women than men receive a higher education in Utah?
“Obviously there’s a big correlation to the whole religious emphasis on getting married and having a family. I think people make the mistake of thinking that getting married and having a family means that a woman doesn’t have to put priority on her education.”
MHR: What should be done, if anything?
“I think it’s mostly a culture thing. There almost needs to be a culture change or a change of thought that it’s not wrong for a woman to want both a degree and/or a career and have a family and kids. Because to me I know that I’m expected to be a mother, but I also expect my husband to be a father. And I don’t see how [motherhood should] change a woman’s aspirations or goals or her working on her potential.” Corrine Cook, French Horn Performance, Murietta CA.
MHR: Why do you think there is this inequality in Utah?
“I think the church in general makes it ok for women to not finish, because if you’re married and you’re a mom, obviously that’s one of the greatest things you can do. But at the same there are other things happening too. I’ve been married for only like a year and there are already people confronting me and my husband about when we’re going to have kids… Number one: none of your business! Number two: we want to do other things first because we want to be a stable unit so that we can raise kids in a good environment.
“The official church stance is go and get an education for women, but the culture in Utah is saying the exact opposite thing, I feel like. And so I think it’s kind of hard being a woman to have this pressure to get married and start a family. It’s not like that’s a bad thing, but I feel like, there is time to get an education [and a time to get married]. And I think it’s important in this modern world, where everyone’s getting smarter, and people are living longer, to be a contributing member of society, you need to be smart, you need to be educated. And not just for job reasons, but I think women can really benefit from getting a degree… Just doing something for yourself, being your own person before you get married, and before you’re a mom, because you’re an individual. I think getting a degree makes you that much better of a person, whether you use it in the real world or not.” Lisa Selman, Art History, Fullerton CA
MHR: Should women receive an education?
“I think women need education just as men do. I don’t think there’s any differentiation. Each needs to progress and learn about the world and challenges that the world faces.”
MHR: But don’t women need to stay in the home, and face the challenges there?
“I think one of the major reasons [for women to get an education is because they need to teach their kids general skills and especially if they had a son, they want their son to go out , as well as their daughter, to be in the work force and learn, and they would need to teach them those skills that are necessary.” Morgan Crockett, Advertising, Salt Lake City UT.
MHR: Should women receive an education?
“Definitely. Our church’s core belief is that we are supposed to be striving to educate ourselves, so it kinda be wrong to intentionally not educate yourself. …Having an education makes you a more well rounded person, so regardless of whether or not you apply that directly, it’s overall increasing everyone’s well being.” Landin Blackburn, Leto Texas, Chemical Engineering.
MHR: Why do women need an education?
“If you get a degree, then you’re able to be that much more of a help to your kids, and you can educate them and get them excited about education. And it’s true that with knowledge comes power. So you’re able to be a better person, a better mom, because you’re able to guide them down the road.”
MHR: How will your degree help you be a better mom?
“I think it’s a perfect degree because I think that nature is one of the ways that we grow as people, by learning and understanding what God has created for us. Once you go out into nature, there’s something that you learn about yourself that you can’t learn any other way. And I want to be able to take my kids out into nature and teach them it’s important that you don’t’ litter… I want to teach them about plants, what type of plant this is, what it can be used for, why it does what it does, because once you realize that a tree is so much more than a tree, you start appreciating life and the simplicities of it. I want to get my kids excited about learning, excited about wildlife and what they’re surrounded by.” Libby Baum. Wildlife/Wildlands Conservation, Salem Oregon.
That night I went home to poll my facebook friends. These are teh responses I got to my question:
LDS women, are you glad you got a degree? Why?
Absolutely. I love the learning that has come with getting my degrees. Regardless of how "marketable" I have become--and while I kind of hate the structure of a formal education--I feel that my perspectives have been very profitably broadened by gaining a formal education. I also feel like school, in general, has laid a foundation for me to want to be a self-learner for the rest of my life. Erin Mumford, BA 2009, English.
I love the feeling of accomplishment that getting a degree brought me… And of course, the actual learning that took place in the process of getting said degree is priceless to me. I find myself making connections between what I learned then and my life now, and it continues to expand my knowledge and enhance my college experience. Brenna Woodbury Williams, BS Health Science, 2006
To be completely honest I when I entered college I was okay with graduating and I was going to be okay if I didn't graduate. I actually thought I wouldn't. Well, I did graduate and I am so, so happy I did. Teaching was something that changed me forever and has really shaped who I am. I feel so secure knowing that if something were to happen to Allen that I will be able to find work. I love my degree, I loved my job, and now I am so grateful I can continue to learn and grow and teach! Cameo Burnett Sabey, History Teaching, 2006.
YES! It has taught me to stand up for myself and not give in to the elitism and dogmatic opinions of others...whether about me or the world around me. Emily Workman, BS Home and Family Living, 2009
I am absolutely glad I have a degree. Going to college taught me how to think for myself, research what I don't know, gave me an educational foundation to build on for the rest of my life. I am glad I have something to show for all the years of work I put in. I am proud to have a degree. It is part of who I am and gives me a more positive self image. I feel smart. I feel educated. And I can say "Look. Here is my degree to prove it." My bachelor's degree has qualified me for my awesome job (which I love) and I now have the option of going in several different directions for a master's degree. I am so glad I have a degree. Any daughter of mine will be strongly, STRONGLY encouraged to get one too... as advanced as she can. Amanda Van Gesen Bailey, BM Choral Education,2008
Totally! I have a bachelor's and I'm proud of myself for finishing school. I'm the only girl in my family who has finished college and I think it has helped me become more well-rounded and more valuable in my field. As a stay-at-home mom my music degree lets me teach piano from my home and charge a respectable amount of money while working around my family's schedule. I'd definitely do it again (though I'm not interested in going back for more!). Stephanie Payne Thomas BA Music, 2010
Definitely yes! Sometimes I joke that I should have gotten a Home and Family Living major instead of a music major, but I really wouldn't have had it any other way. I seriously considered dropping out of grad school after I had Hyrum because of how exhausted and absolutely insurmountable the obstacle seemed. But, I am now so very grateful that I continued because of 1) the self-satisfaction it gives me and 2) so I can set an example for my children of persevering and finishing what they start. Amy Isaakson Cartwright, MM Vocal Performance, 2011
I'm fine with my bachelors, but I would have done it differently. I would have received a two year tech degree that made 50+ thousand dollars a year. I would have worked hard to graduate at twenty. With the small investment of time, and huge payoff in cash I would have traveled, expanded my vision and understanding, and strait up learned to finally make a decent indian curry. Now that I'm a mother of two, married to a great guy who is in college himself I could be working part time and getting paid oodles of cash so again I could be traveling, cooking, learning, and collecting local art. Summer Russell Elrod,
I am extremely proud of my degree. For me, it is a representation of the knowledge I gained and growth I experienced during my time at BYU. Some of my best experiences in life came from earning that degree, like my Study Abroad in Vienna and performing in several operas. My degree is something to be proud of; I stretched myself in many ways to earn that degree. And some day, I will use it to show my children just how rewarding a college education is when you work hard to achieve it. Britain Soderquist, BM Vocal Performance, 2010
No comments:
Post a Comment