Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Kale Salad

Because my kale salad is too good not to share with the world.  I've been perfecting this recipe for about a year now, and I now declare it perfect.

But here's the thing: I am basically incapable of following recipes.  I constantly modify them, and measuring things always seems ridiculously tedious, so I never do.  This recipe will reflect my attitude toward recipes generally, so good luck.

1. Buy a bunch of kale, and chop up about half of it.    You'll want to tear off the green of the kale from the stalk, because, although the stalk would be very good for you with all that fiber and all, it'd be a bit tough, I think.  Take bunches of the greens and chop them finely in at least two directions.  The finer you chop, the easier it is to eat.

2.  To the chopped kale greens add about a half an apple and two stalks of green onion, chopped very finely.

3.  The dressing: this is the best part.  You have to get some nutritional yeast.  It's kind of a pricey health food store item, but it's worth it.  I use it lots of homemade dressings.  It gives them a richness and depth that some compare to cheese.  Yeah, maybe.  Whatever--it's yummy.  But first, add 1/4 cup each of EVOO and lemon juice to a bowl, and mix well.  Add two heaping tablespoons nutritional yeast, a heaping teaspoon curry powder, salt and pepper.  Add sugar to taste (of course you don't have to add sugar, but you don't have to add much for it to make a big difference).

4. Dump the dressing into the salad and mix well.

5.  Eat it all.  Because it's so healthy!

No comments: